A few months back our building had our windows redone since they were still the original ones from the 70s. I didn’t actually notice anything wrong with the window’s insulation since this is my first winter here, but you could definitely see that time definitely didn’t serve them the best.
Although we moved in August, the windows weren’t redone for a few months and we were encouraged not to do any renovations before they finished since window renovations cause a lot of destruction and we’d have to redo everything.
That being said, while our new windows are lovely and clean, their installation left us with a lot of work on our hands. The room that got affected the most by the contractors was the sunroom as the walls received some damage as well as the ceiling and floor.
Since our apartment is a bit special, in the sense that it has a closed in balcony versus a regular balcony, the window replacement needed a bit of extra care. I feel like if we had hired our own contractor’s things would have been taken care of a bit more carefully, but honestly, I’m not going to know that without getting my windows done again.
That being said, there have been a number of complaints from residents in our building on how the company was extremely rude and unhelpful. Then again, I truthfully didn’t have many interactions with the company. It was more of a “this is the work we’re going to do, there will be damage, we’re not fixing it” kind of conversation.
After quickly looking over the room and making sure that there were no leaks or damage from the winter months we compiled a list of tasks:
- Fix / Replace the Baseboards
- Fix the holes in the Walls
- Paint The Walls
- Fix the Windows (which would open from the wind every so often)
This was my first time dealing with baseboards and luckily my dad gave us a helping hand since he has had some experience with fixing them. We mostly had to caulk them back the salvageable pieces since the walls seem to be pieces of drywall attached to what was previously brick and cement.
Honestly, I didn’t realize how little insulation was on that balcony, but it makes sense since it was completely unusable during the winter. We even tried putting our space heater in there, but because of the lack of insulation, it didn’t stay warm at all.
We decided to paint the sunroom yellow, just like the kitchen since the kitchen gets no natural light.
K thinks that it’s a waste that the kitchen is so bright, but doesn’t get to see the light of day so he wanted to make sure that the yellow appeared somewhere, even though it’s part of the pattern on my office wall.
All-in-All, the sunroom looks pretty much the same, though a lot cleaner and fixed up. We painted the trim light blue to tie into what the bedroom is going to be and 1/3 of my office. Basically, at this point… all of the rooms are going to tie together somehow.
I am excited for warmer weather since we did put our dining room in the sunroom.
We’ve already had my parents over once since putting the table back into the sunroom, but it still was a bit chilly.
That being said, the sunroom is pretty much done, for now, we just need to figure out what we’re going to do about the curtains and if we’re going to have to replace any of the windows.
There were no leaks in the winter, so I think we should be good, and I think I’ve fixed the latch that was causing the windows to swing open every so often… so maybe no renovations for now. We’ll see though!
For now, I’m excited to have the room all pretty and done. I’ve been having my morning coffees in there when it’s warm enough and have been working on writing.
I can’t decide what the next room is going to be yet. It’s either going to be K’s office or the bedroom. We’ll see!